Skip to main content

Last tid-bits

*shot on Android*
The last part of this quick guide to better cell phone images in my humble opinion is a lesson in zoom and candids.


First part, I do not believe that a big zoom lens is ever needed.  Or even zoom on a cell phone should be used. 

The reason for that is as follows: it decreases the quality of the image.  Plain and simple if you have to pinch to zoom you will lose actual pixel quality in a image.  This results in a softer picture, it will not be as sharp as you may like it to be.  This takes away a lot.  I get that for the most part you zoom because you are not close to the subject.  However, the better alternative to this is just moving your feet.  Like before, perspective adds a lot to an image.  Moving your feet to get closer to the subject also helps you creatively too.

Creativity is at times able to be measured and other times not. This distance however can be seen.  Moving yourself closer makes better pictures.  As you move in you can see the image grow or even change your mind about what you want to add or get rid of inside the image.

Like in this example. I did not move my feet but rather I just lifted my cell phone above my head to get myself more in the image.  I am moving the camera without zooming and adding to the image.


*shot on iPhone*

Again, when you move out you can get more in the image.  Like this example I moved all the way up to the wall to capture the whole scene.  Sure, it was uncomfortable, but I was able to capture more  than expected if I just stood next to the couch.  By moving in or out you really improve the picture's ability to express more.  Or just focus on one thing.  Either way moving your feet adds to the image and the amount of creativity that you are imposing on the picture your cell phone is producing.

*shot on Android *




*shot on iPhone*
This here is another example of what just moving my feet makes for some blossoms in the spring.  Close but not too close is the sweet spot on this picture.

*shot on iPhone*




















When it comes to this picture of the rain, just getting right up to the window really helps show what I wanted to capture on my cell phone.  I really liked the drops and wanted that to be seen, so as close as I could get while still staying in focus on the subject.














*shot on iPhone*


Candids are the last bit of what I believe is important for better cell phone pictures. 


I really enjoy honest moments.  The moments that just show who people are, and those moments that when people let their guard down.  These are the little moments, and last I checked the little things are the most important. 


Close and unguarded, candids are just simple images of people, pets, and groups that show off all our tiny idiosyncrasies. 






*shot on iPhone*

Usually funny, but they are our images that show off our most real and intimate selves.  There is more heart in honesty than posed pictures.

Comments